Tuesday, April 7, 2009

A Grateful Night

The Dead's NYC "Taxi Tour" took place on Monday, March 30, 2009. The Dead initially wanted to perform a free concert in one of the City's parks but when the plan fell through, the band decided to hold three separate "sets" at three different City venues, including the Angel Orensaz Center, The Gramercy (Blender Theater - where I work!!) and the Roseland Ballroom. Fans on the band's mailing and text lists were sent messages on Friday night (April 27) that the contest for tickets would be held between 6-9pm that night.

Well, as an intern at WMG, I was disqualified from entering the contest but I was hoping to luck out and work the Gramercy show. So when my boss called on Monday for me to work last minute, I was THRILLED. Also thrilling me, my guy (or a friend of his whom I had to pretend to be... SSSSHHHHHHHHH....) won tickets to Roseland so after picking those babies up at 5pm on Monday, I went to work the Dead show at the Gramercy a very happy camper =)




Though I did not get a chance to see the Dead at the show I worked, I did hear them soundcheck (St. Stephen and Not Fade Away) as well as chat with many a hippie (some of whom tip, um, in very, green ways... you know what I mean???) and was excited as hell to get to Roseland.

Meeting Joey across the street from the Ballroom, I was finally going to my first Dead show. The excitement outside was palpable, and the sceene was about a thousand hippies standing around with a hand raised, with one an index finger up, looking for a "miracle" (just like Joey said would happen.... ahhhhh experienced Deadheads!) - once we got inside, we purchased some very cool night-of shirts and worked our way to the VIP balcony to watch the show.




The set list was awesome and the energy of the crowd and band had me moving all night long. We met some amazing people and had a fantastic time, capturing some fabulous pictures of the Dead on stage! A truly GRATEFUL night =)


The Dead - from Center of the VIP Balcony at Roseland


The Dead - Side Stage at Roseland, March 20th, 2009


Set List:

Althea ->
Cassidy
Uncle John's Band
Eyes of the World ->
St. Stephen ->
Dark Star ->
Sugar Magnolia ->
Sunshine Daydream

Encore:
Not Fade Away


Me at the center X of the VIP balcony for the Dead

No comments:

Post a Comment